On Ancient Earth | Paint the Night by Moonlight
On Ancient Earth | Webinar & Online Exhibition
On Ancient Earth is an online exhibition of time-based artworks about the relationships we have with that which lies beyond the outer edges of Earth’s atmosphere.
Works by 15 artists from 8 countries have been sent to Central Australia and positioned in the landscape at The Earth Sanctuary. Tune in for the live online artist talks and workshops or join us for a camp out at the Earth Sanctuary on the 2nd October for an intimate experience with the night.
The Exhibition webpage will be going live on the 24th of September 2020.
Click here for access: http://theartistexpeditionsociety.com/on-ancient-earth
Paint the Night by Moonlight
Join The Artist Expedition Society at The Earth Sanctuary for a unique art and astronomy camping experience.
This evening experience combines The Earth Sanctuary’s award winning night sky tour with The Artist Expedition Society’s Painting With Light workshop in one of the best night sky viewing areas in the world, on the night of the Full Moon. Paint the night by moonlight, learn about the stars, and camp out in a swag. This spectacular experience is set to leave your mind fizzing with creative inspiration.
The Earth Sanctuary’s star guides will take you on a captivating space adventure on their award-winning astronomy tour, and The Artist Expedition Society will help you to translate that experience into paint.
Be sure to arrive by 6.30 to enjoy the moonrise at 6.50pm.
Tickets on sale now – click here.
● Astronomy Tour Includes;
- Entry into Earth Sanctuary and Space Observatory
- Experienced star-guide with laser light pointer
- Look through a deep sky telescope
● Art Experience Includes:
- Basic night painting tutorial, suitable for beginners
- A selection of easels, boards, and masking tape
● Other Inclusions:
- Swag for camping (without a pillow or sleeping bag)
- Gourmet mixed platter. Special dietary options available on request.
- Gourmet B&E hot breakfast. Special dietary options available on request.
- Licensed Bar available (cash or card)
At night our vision is reduced from colour to black and white. We literally cannot see colour at night, just tone.
In this workshop, you will be taught the principles of painting at night with a limited pallet. The painting process usually involves selecting from a complex colour pallet, but at night, it is all about tone. Before it gets dark, participants must choose a base colour – dark blue is recommended.
As we observe the landscape by moonlight and document what we see on paper, our senses tune in to something beyond vision. Sound, smell, and the movement of the wind all begin to influence our experiences of the night, and our paintings. This workshop is BYO painting equipment. If you need to buy anything, there is a 10% discount at Jackson’s Art Shop for those coming to Artist Expedition Society events.
· 3 x 50ml acrylic paint, one prussian blue, one burnt sienna or burnt umber, one titanium white
· Compatible paint medium for improving flow and gloss
· Thick paper and/or canvass boards
· Two medium paint brushes
· A pallet knife
· A small jar for water
· A water bottle
· A cloth to clean your brush
Planning for your Astronomy Tour
All astronomy tours are weather dependent. When potential weather issues arise, Earth Sanctuary will continue to update you with weather reports. This may involve updates up until 5pm on the day. Where visibility is poor, this can result in a tour cancellation and a subsequent refund be provided.
What to bring?
● Closed footwear.
● Nights can get cold so dress for warmth with layers, i.e. beanie, scarf and gloves.
● Head-torch + spare batteries
● Overnight bag – toothbrush, pajamas, medication ect.
● Water bottle
● Sleeping bag + pillow
● Your own art materials
30 September – 2 October 2020
- Online & The Earth Sanctuary, Alice Springs